1. Alternative Text for Images
When images are present in Web content, we must provide meaningful alternative text description so that users of screen readers can have the image described to them. Also, we must provide ways for screen readers to ignore images that are used for decoration.
- Keep the descriptions short and concise
- Keep alt text under 140 characters (with spaces)
- Do not use the word “graphic or image” in the description
- Screen readers will announce "Graphic" and then read aloud the alt text description
- Decorative images must be set to be ignored by screen readers